crobi13

How to keep the birds out of my berries?

I found the tell-tale sign of a bird (poop) in my berry garden this afternoon. Right now I don't have much fruit (it's still too early here). My question is, how do I deter the birds? I don't want them to eat all of my berries. I've covered my strawberry bed with cheese cloth and that was pretty easy but my raspberry & blueberry bushes would be awkward to cover the same way.
How about some lawn ornaments like windmills? Any other ideas?
Thanks!
Charlette
Wife, Mother, Gardner, Cook, Quilter, Banker and Tupperware Lady

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Bird netting. It's specifically made to keep birds off of fruit trees and berry bushes.

It seems pretty flimsy, but I still have and use the same piece I bought about 25 years ago. I don't leave it out all year round, though. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Do you just drape it around the plant or do you need to biuld a frame of some sort?

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Joyfirst wrote:Do you just drape it around the plant or do you need to biuld a frame of some sort?
I made a frame around my Blueberry bushes, and then added the netting. I figured that the netting should be held (at least a few inches) off of the bushes, otherwise the birds would just land and grab every berry that was within their reach.

I plan on doing the same for my grapes, when they are getting closer to maturity.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I just draped it over my blueberry bushes, but if I had it to do over again, I would build some type of temporary frame, as farmerlon did. The netting gets snagged in the branches, and it's very awkward and time consuming to remove it. :roll:
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”