hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Volunteer strawberry plants

I noticed that we have one or two volunteer strawberry plants growing from seed this year. I've never had that happen before. Kind of neat, our own random cross. More than likely will revert back to something like one of the parents, but will be interesting to see what kind of fruit it produces. The seed most likely originated from some ever bearing plants that are located beside the raised bed.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Awesome Alex, be sure to get us some photos of these.

I wonder if they can even revert back to like the wild strawberries?

Since strawberries are normally vegetative reproductions, it may not be that far fetched for how many generations go back to the original wild ones that were crossed.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Thirty five years ago I had a start of June bearing strawberries that I got from my mother in law, which she got from her mother. The berries were very delicate and never larger than a nickel. For several years I've been searching for some of those old fashioned plants, but to no avail. Also have done some research on old varieties, but have found no sources for them.

I found this link to be quite interesting, as it chronicles the development of modern strawberries through the early and mid 1900's.

https://www.nal.usda.gov/pgdic/Strawberry/book/bokten.htm

Return to “All Other Fruit”