elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

Looking for a male Hachiya persimmon tree.

Well for the past couple years I have been getting only a few persimmons off my tree. I thought that maybe it was due to the fact that it was a young tree and was still developing since I only put it in the ground in 2007. Actually the tree was labeled as a Fuyu persimmon which I would have rather had but when the fruit developed the first year it was obviously not Fuyu.

Anyhow, this year I got rather excited early in the season because I noticed that there were tons and tons of female blooms on the tree. Sadly though they were all on the ground within a week. I did some researching on the interwebs and have found out that there are male and female trees and without having both in your yard you are pretty lucky to get one fruit let alone three fruits which I got last year.

So, my question is, where would I find a MALE Hachiya persimmon? I have gone and done my google searches but come up with little info regarding buying a male tree. None that I have come across have mentioned anything about male and female trees.

Anyone here have some experience with this?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

hachiya, being a fruiting cultivar, shouldn't ever be male. maybe I'm missing something. a male asian persimmon probably wouldn't be a named cultivar.

elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

Well, I don't know much about Persimmons really. We never had them in Ohio and would bet that I never even tasted one till I moved to New Orleans.

Anyhow, from one of the websites I found while reading up on them I found this.
https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/persimmon.html
Flowers: The inconspicuous flowers surrounded by a green calyx tube are borne in the leaf axils of new growth from one-year old wood. Female flowers are single and cream-colored while the pink-tinged male flowers are typically borne in threes. Commonly, 1 to 5 flowers per twig emerge as the new growth extends (typically March). Persimmon trees are usually either male or female, but some trees have both male and female flowers. On male plants, especially, occasional perfect (bisexual) flowers occur, producing an atypical fruit. A tree's sexual expression can vary from one year to the other. Many cultivars are parthenocarpic (setting seedless fruit without pollination), although some climates require pollination for adequate production. When plants not needing pollination are pollinated, they will produce fruits with seeds and may be larger and have a different flavor and texture than do their seedless counterparts.
I can't seem to find the other website that mentioned that Persimmon trees tend to be Male and Female in the first couple years and then emerge as one or the other after about 3-5 yrs. This would be the 3rd year I have had it in the ground and I assume it was probably a year old when I purchased it.

Return to “All Other Fruit”