supagirl277

Starting Strawberries?

We used to have strawberries, but we ripped them out. Now I want to start them in a pot so they don't spread. What should I do?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I have quite a few strawberry plants growing in planters. I wouldn't plant more than about 1 or two plants per three gallons of potting soil. Be sure and fertilize the plants in the spring with a lighter application in the fall. My plants in containers seem to do better when they get morning only sun, as they dry out too much when getting afternoon/evening sun.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

supagirl277

thanks a ton! how many seeds should I set in the soil to start them out? I'm not sure how many gallons my pot is, but its a large one.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've never started strawberry plants from seeds, but if I did, would start them in a community starter tray. After they germinate and develop true leaves, move them to small, perhaps three inch individual pots. Then when the plants get a little size, move them to their permanent location.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

supagirl277

OK thanks. If I were to start from plants, would I need to go to a special place to buy them, or how commonly sold are they?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You can probably still order bare rooted plants on line from various vendors. Most charge between $8-$10 for 25 plants. Also some of the big box stores like Lowes or your local mom and pop nursery carry individually potted plants. Either method should work fine. I generally order bare rooted plants from Gurneys which is a pretty inexpensive on line vendor. I've had very good success with they strawberry plants.

https://gurneys.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1273449162
Alex

supagirl277

Thanks for the info! I'm excited to make some jams with them, so it's about time I started them. I think i'll go to this place called Cook's.

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”