Tinybu88les8

Strawberries... did I do something wrong?

Alright so last season I bought about 4 strawberry plants. They did well and produced little strawberries... as well as sent a bunch of runners so now I have a few more plants. Heres my problem... Ive read that youre supposed to cut down the plants over winter. I didn't do that. I just left them alone. For about the last 2 or 3 months they have producing white flowers with little strawberries in the center... but they brown and die off every time. In fact my plants are covered in them. Is this a normal part of the process? Or is there something I have to do? Will I not get strawberries this season because I forgot to cut them down? PLease tell me no! Strawberries are my favorite part of my garden. <3333

Zapatay

Hi Tiny -
I don't think the flowering / dying off is due to you not cutting the plants down over the winter.

applestar
Mod

Are there pollinating insects taking care of that aspect? Maybe a little watercolor brush (or a new lip brush) work is in order? Plant flowers like sweet alyssum to attract the little pollinators. Study the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335]Beneficial Insect sticky[/url] in Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control forum.

Another possibility is some kind of fungal disease. I spray my strawberries with 10% milk solution when the hot/humid weather starts.

Tinybu88les8

like a water and milk solution? Any type of milk will due? fat free? lol

Return to “All Other Fruit”