Javbe

Indoor Kiwi plant

Hey everyone, recently I was able to grow a Kiwi tree from seed.. I live in Canada where I believe it is to cold year round for the tree to survive outdoors, also I live in an apartment and don'treally have a yard.. so my question is, "has anyone ever maintained an indoor Kiwi plant?" Do you guys think it will die if I leave it inside year round? Thanks

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I think you may have humidity (or lack thereof) issues, and possibly temperature, too. if you're talking regular fuzzy kiwi, you're probably right, they're hardy down to about 0F and that's it. there are considerably more cold-tolerant varieties.

oh, and be warned, kiwi is a vine, not a tree. it could get out of hand if it does like being inside.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I think RG is spot on about vigour.
I grew a couple of Kiwis under glass and they would put on over 10 ft of growth each year. It's like fighting a Triffid.
Also...except for certain varieties..Kiwis are either male or female. Either way you will need partner unless you have a self-fertile beastie.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Were did I get RG from?

Sorry Potatoes.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

heh, no worries...I think RG and I have similar general colors in our avatar pics...such is tha magic of potatoes...

planting hardy kiwis this year, will have more to say about them at a later date.

Javbe

thanks for the input you guys. I went to the local gardening store around here and they said it should be ok indoors... so I guess we'll see what happens with this one. Thanks again

Return to “All Other Fruit”