wendyv
Newly Registered

fruit and nut trees at high altitude, in Southern Spain

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am looking for information on exactly what fruit and nut trees will grow around 900 meters, or just under 3000 ft altitude, just above the med. sea. Huge amount of sunlight hours, and heat degree days... not too much water, are the main factors, some wind, but a mostly protected sight, a fair day to night time temp. variation due to the altitude...

Love to hear your thoughts!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

and your average lowest temperature in the winter?

first things that come to mind (don't generally need much water): che, jujube...hmmm. most of our popular fruits and nuts require fair amount of water...date palms?

applestar
Mod

Sounds like grape weather to me.... This is interesting! Olives? Does the limited water preclude citrus? Oh! How about figs? Kiwi and Passionfruit?

Alright, alright -- three of my suggestions are vines.... Oh, well.... :wink:

Coffee is supposed to produce better quality fruits if grown in higher altitude, but you'll need to plant them in shade -- maybe as understory to the taller fruit and nut trees. I can't think of any nut trees... ALMONDS?

OK, NOT fruit or nut or tree :roll:, but TEA shrub is also supposed to produce better quality in higher altitude. If your area is hotter, then probably the Indian variety -- Camelia sinensis var. assamica.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

olives! of course. and fig's not a bad idea either. good calls.

wendyv
Newly Registered

Well, I guess I should have mentioned what is already planted there, on the property... for sure it is olive territory, and there are lots of olive trees, and the Sierra de Contraviesa, on the slope facing the sea is historically a wine producing region, so yes, grapes, and almonds, and figs!! All planted already!! As well as a couple of lemon and orange trees. But, I was sort of thinking that it would be great to have a couple of avocado trees, which generally grow a little further down the hill, or other more tropically sorts of fruit trees, like mangos or papayas... maybe some cooler climate fruits too, like apples, but I don't know if there will be just too much sun, and heat for that!
How high will peaches grow?
I mean, we do have some water... but most things are dry farmed in this area, so have to be hardy, and reasonably well suited.

By the way, this year, we are going to have a killer crop of figs... they grow everywhere here, on the sides of the roads, etc. All of the bushes are just loaded right now... we had a ton of precipitation over the past winter: )

thanks again!

wendyv
Newly Registered

Tea and coffee are two GREAT choices... thanks!! I had the wonderful experience of visiting a biodynamic coffee plantation in Brazil, near Pedra Azul, up in the mountains last year during a wine festival... totally cool!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I've got doubts about mangos or papayas will be able to handle a fairly dry environment...there are probably papaya varieties that don't get real big, but as for how much that will help with tolerating lower water amounts, I don't know. perhaps there's a website that compares varieties.

if almonds grow alright there, peaches (or apricots, or nectarines) might work...apples, I'd wonder if you have enough chill hours during the off-season.

applestar
Mod

:lol: I guess I'll have to settle for knowing I was pretty much on the money! :wink:

... and !potatoes! beat me to saying if almonds then peaches and nectarines! :o Definitely apricots.

Hm, hm... Avocados are pretty thirsty plants, and I've read that they prefer a coastal climate -- not too hot, with humidity. I read about an apple variety that doesn't require as much chill hours, but can't remember where and also, it'll depend on exactly what kind of chill hours you get.

Ah, I have it! Pineapples and Pomegranates!

Return to “All Other Fruit”