Gerald Greenawalt
Newly Registered

cherry tree - Is Sticky Sap Oozing out a Problem?

I bought a bing and a black tartarian tree. the blacktartarian
has a sticky sap like subtance seeping out the branches at a
couple spots, is this a problem?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It might be an indication of borers. However, I have a Rainier cherry tree that has been oozing large gobs of sap for at least 10 years or more ... ever since I've had it. The tree grew from a seed planted by some bird or squirrel. It produces bushels of lovely cherries every year.

I have no plans to "treat" my tree in any way. You, on the other hand, might prefer to go to some lengths to investigate the cause of the oozing sap on your trees. I'm just saying that it hasn't seemed to harm my tree in all these years, nor has it interfered with fruit production.

I found the following article on the subject to be of some interest. Perhaps you will, also. :)

https://www.walterreeves.com/landscaping/article.phtml?cat=18&id=926

Gerald Greenawalt
Newly Registered

thank you for the reply,it was helpful.
gerald

stickbow
Newly Registered

I to have the same problem, with the same tree. its only in its second year from being transported from the nursery, an has yet to produce any cherries. don't know if I'll leave it alone or take it out. maybe I'll give it one more year and see what happens.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My tree, which grew from a seed, didn't produce any cherries until it was at least 5 years old. It might have been even older. I almost had it taken out when the arborist was pruning my apple tree, but he told me it was a fruit tree and just to wait.

Once the tree became old enough, it produced cherries one year, but not the next. It only skipped that one season, though, and has been bearing ever since. :)

Return to “All Other Fruit”