marcelskoumal
Newly Registered

infected fragaria vesca (alpine strawberry)

Hi to everybody!

I am growing alpine strawberries and I am afraid that my plantlets, which were doing really fine till now, have been infected by some mold.

I show you 2 things:

a) Important thing: the photography of an infected leaf. Look at the link, please.

https://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww148/marcelskoumal/fragariavesca_ill_leaf.jpg

You can appreciate there tiny black spots. Can I treat it using NEEM? Or maybe some other antifungal agent? Maybe I have overwatered them during last days. This could be a cause, right?

b) I have only 8-months experience in growing strawberries. I grow only fragaria vesca and I want to show you the evolution from seed to seed of my very first fragaria vesca:

https://www.scienceandtrade.com/en/fragariavesca.html

If you can give me some advice that will be great.

Greetings from Barcelona (Catalonia-Spain).

Marcel Skoumal

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Sorry, I don't have any advice for you. Just wanted to say, that I enjoyed your photo story about it very much. I am trying to do the same, so so far I kept the seeds in the fridge for about 3 weeks, now I put them into seedling mix, wtaered and back to the fridge for one more week. Then I will take it out and raise it inside under the lights. Keeping my fingers crossed - I put in 2 red and yellow varieties- seeds are so small-not sure how many of each.

marcelskoumal
Newly Registered

Thanks Joyfirst.

I am relieved that I already know the problem: It was NEEM. I used NEEM as a preventive for my alpine strawberry plantlets and sprinkled them with it. But it happened that it burnt their fragile young leaves.

You want to know how many seeds you should seed. Well, I think that a couple of pinches for each should be enough. I had also done this ritual of refrigerating the seeds (even freezing them for 2-3 weeks simulating winter) but my short experience (beware, I am not an expert!!) tells me that this is not necessary if you have good quality fresh seeds.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Right now my seeds are out of the fridge in seedling mix under the lights. I assume they don't need heating pad on, because they like cold afterall, don't they?

marcelskoumal
Newly Registered

Yes, you're right, Joyfirst.

My last alpine strawberries germinated last February/March outdoors at about 10 ºC. Our climate (the coast of Catalonia has mediterranean climate with mild winters) is similar to that of California, I think. So go ahead. About 10 days (more or less) and the plantlets should appear.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Okey, at first I didn't use heat pad and they didn't sprout, then I put them on heating pad and they all sprouted out.
Now I got Pineapple Crush type and I will sprout soon those too.
I am so glad you found out a problem.

Return to “All Other Fruit”