noodles777

what ate my strawberry? *pic

What would you guess ate this? My last strawberry was stolen but nothing was left at all so I figured a bird took off with it but this one looks nibbled but it also looks like it might have some slime on it, do slugs like strawberries?? I've neber had any slug issues. I don't live in an areas with many rodents or birds really, maybe opposums but I would think it would take the whole thing. . I'm working on some netting but any input on the critter or slimy theif would help, it was a sad little strawbeerry anyhow :? Sorry its a crappy pic but basically the inside is eaten out, you can see my hand through the middle
[img]https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/NxOxOxDxLxExS/IMG_0146-1.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Slugs and snails do like strawberries. Often they'll scrape a hole, then sawbugs will move in to slurp up the residue, though sawbugs are said NOT to be the original culprit even though you'll think so because they're the ones blazenly hanging out on the berries.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I've also suffered similar damage on strawberries when they have had a bad attack of redspider.
They graze the surface off the fruit leaving the seeds slightly raised and giving the surface of the fruit a rough feeling.

Stonee
Newly Registered

We had a problem with slugs/snails munching on our strawberries. Upon a friends suggestion we springled used coffee grounds around the plants and we haven't had a problem since. Theory goes that slugs don't like the caffeine in coffee.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ants eat mine :?

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

my berries got eaten by: slugs, pill bugs, ants, ear wigs, and probably other insects too.

Luckily I still got a great harvest, there was plenty to share with the critters. I think birds only took the half-eaten sluggy ones I threw into the grass...

midn1352

We had strawberries for a little while before the rabbits, raccoons, bluejays and slugs got to them... I'd put them into a rudimentary greenhouse or cover them with screening for the birds and small and fuzzy yet devious creatures. For snails and slugs, you can put broken eggshell around your plants or take a bowl, put it in the ground so the lip is flush with the ground, and put beer in the bowl. The eggshell cuts up and kills the slugs and the beer attracts them and drowns them when they can't get out of the bowl. Good luck!!!

Return to “All Other Fruit”