farmgirl

Will blueberries grow under cedar trees?

I live in NorthCentral Kansas--zone 5. I have a mature shelter belt of 2 rows of Cedar trees and then a row of elm trees (now dieing out and being replaced with silver maples) running north south all along my western edge of our property. I really would like to grow some blueberries not only for their fruit, but also for ornamental value in our front yard. Would they thrive or even survive if planted in this shelter belt? I was hoping to use this as kind of a nice little shaded "sanctuary" and yet be able to grow some fruit if it would handle the conditions here.

Fermented

My partial shaded blueberries have never done well. They're not even ornamental. My best looking and tasting are in full sun. I don't know if there are any varieties that would do well in the shade.

farmgirl

Fermented wrote:My partial shaded blueberries have never done well. They're not even ornamental. My best looking and tasting are in full sun. I don't know if there are any varieties that would do well in the shade.
I understand in Maine full sun would be good--here in Kansas would it burn out the blueberries??? We get 100+ temps here in the summer on a regular basis--infact, have had 100+ temps already in May and June!! Yikes! I guess by your suggestion, in the shelter belt would most certainly not a good idea, but maybe a place with morning and early afternoon sun mostly and possibly late afternoon shade?????

Fermented

Absolutely and it never hurts to try. I always move plants that are not doing well. Overgrown plants I split up and plant in other areas to see if they'll grow.

And yes we only get 100 degrees for about a week in the summer. :D

farmgirl

Fermented wrote:Absolutely and it never hurts to try. I always move plants that are not doing well. Overgrown plants I split up and plant in other areas to see if they'll grow.

And yes we only get 100 degrees for about a week in the summer. :D
Wow! you all get 100 degree temps in the summer too? :o I didn't think that was very common at all up there! Whew!
Thanx for replying! I really appreciate you mentioning about moving the plants! I don't always think of that!! It is nice to know! Thanx again for your advise!!

Return to “All Other Fruit”