bmolsen
Newly Registered

Will my blueberry plants get enough sun?

I want to plant two blueberry plants in my flowerbed in front of my house which faces west. During the spring and summer months there is sun from about 6:30am to about 2:30pm. After 2:30pm it becomes shady. Will my blueberry plants do well as long as I keep the acid level in the soil at the right pH and keep it watered?

Thanks for your advice in advance!
bmolsen :)

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

You have plenty of sun, it sounds close to ideal although it might even be too sunny depending on summer temps and your ability to keep the soil moist. I would worry far more about pH. I know next to nothing about the soil morphology in your area but I do know that western U.S. soils and water are often alkaline and I have gardened in places where the soil has so much buffering capacity that trying to significantly change it was a losing battle. What is the pH of your unmodified topsoil and what is the pH of your water supply?

bmolsen
Newly Registered

MaineDesigner,
I am not sure of the pH of the soil or water as I have not had a chance to test it yet. Any suggestions on the type of test kits to get for accurate results?

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

I usually just send in soils samples for a complete lab test that includes pH but I also carry a pH tester. I think any method or kit should work fine just be sure you use distilled water so the water doesn't throw off the test.

Return to “All Other Fruit”