Franco

Banana seeds

Can someone please explain the propper way to extract the seeds from a store-baught banana?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I don't think that you would be able to grow Bananas in NJ Franco. And I think (but don't know) that bananas are generally reproduced vegetatively. Furthermore, the bananas that you find in grocery stores are usually grown in Central and South America under deplorable conditions where nothing can survive but the banana plants themselves. I'm not sure what the conditions are like in Hawaii.

Anyway, if you want to grow a banana plant in your home, you can buy them from some nurseries.

Franco

oh, well ok then! thanks for the info.

peachguy

I do have a Bannana plant that I grew from seeds but it is not store bought. I remember I read an article that said the bannana that we eat are in danger of extintion because they are mutatons from wild bannanas and cannot diverse, or build up resistance against diseases. So the one that I have seeds in the bannana but I don't mind cuz I just wanted the look of it.

Here is a Pic it is only a baby.[img]https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/citrusincanada/100_1682.jpg[/img]

Franco

that looks great, I might try it.

farmgirl

Hey Peach guy! Your banana plant looks great! I think it has inspired me! I would like to try growing a banana plant from seed--you say you got the seed from a nursery?

peachguy

well I got them originally from walmart (one pack), but that didn't last me long because a lot of family members wanted bannana plants too. So I went looking every where couldn't find them it was like they disappeared but I finally found a place Canadian Tire and I stocked up on them, bought all the packed the store had left, 4 I think. So I would try locally department stores but if the seed racks are gone then I would try a nursery, the company that makes the packs are Thompson&Morgan if you can't find them at any stores you can go to Thompsan&morgans web sites and order them.

farmgirl

cool! 8) Thanx peach guy!!!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

There you go Franco!

peachguy

OH yes I will mention one thing that the propagation is a very long time and can take up to 6 months so be patience it will be worth it and I suggest staring it in a green house or have a little plastic baggy on top to keep it and hummid and moist. Good Luck

Franco

Thanks a lot peachguy for all the very useful info

peachguy

Your welcome and it has been a learning experience I wouldn't say they are the most picky plant but they are challenging, but once they get started and healthy they become easier and try to keep them (when they are small like seedling sstage) out of the wind even if you think it is only a little breeze. I learned that the hard way I have lost many leaves to the wind!

Denny
Newly Registered

Most bananas you buy at the grocer are not seeded bananas. Most are cavendish. Bananas send growth from the side of the stock under or near the dirt line. These are called Crons, rhizomes, suckers or pups. Check out https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/banana.html for more info. Bananas from the store, although they have those small black seeds they are usually not viable. Some bananas are seeded but not of any commercial use. Musa Hookerii is one that is sweet with large seeds and tall but not very sweet. You can find plants https://www.stokestropicals.com/ :) [/url]

jungleivy
Newly Registered

I am starting a greenhouse in my basement, and continuing to create my rainforest scheme in my livingroom, through all of this I am gaining tons of knowledge, and experience, and it seems that my neighbors, friends and family are being very supportive.. My husband went out to get my plantain seeds today, but as an experiment I am going to cut a slice from my childrens bannanas and plant it in soil. Most of gardening soils for some plants require humus or some type of rotting compost, we throw bannana peels in the compost pile when we create them, so why not put the bannana in the soil? For instance to propagate a coconut you leave it inside its shell for the first year of its life it gets the proper nutrients from the milk inside, and then after you have to fertilize it. Hey its worth a shot, at least I can say I've never tried planting a bannana Slice. But then again most seeds have got to be dried out before you plant them anyways Wonder if my family is up for bannana chips?
Franco wrote:Can someone please explain the propper way to extract the seeds from a store-baught banana?

Return to “All Other Fruit”