bnew17
Newly Registered

Will my Muscadines/Scuppernongs make it?

Ive planted some new muscadine vines at my new house. However I have 4 vines that I got 2 -3 years ago that I had planted at my camphouse...these vines never produced any fruit mainly because they probably didnt get watered as much as they should and I'm not sure if there was a pollinator in there. Well I dug up the vines and replanted them at my house along with the vines I recently bought. My question is

Will these vines I transported make it? The vines on each one is probably 10 ft long and had new green coming out. They look healthy just not very thick probably because of lack of care. I just transported them yesterday ,,,watered them,,,and fertilized them along with the rest of the vines. I dug out as much of the root system as I could. Probably enough to fit in a 1 -2 gallon pot.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well they usually say to transplant grapevines in early spring before they are leafed out, which I'm guessing for you in GA was a while back. Also they usually suggest cutting them back pretty hard like to within a couple feet of the base, leaving a growing node for it to come back from.

For now just take care of it and see what happens. If the transplanted ones seem to be struggling, I'd cut them back some. The damaged roots from being dug up, will do better if they don't have so much vine to supply.

Return to “All Other Fruit”