Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Did you raise alpine strawberries from seed?

I would love to do it, and a lot of online stores sell red and yellow and even white alpine strawberries seeds. How easy is to get them sprout and how long it will take to get fruit?

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

OMG, nobody??? I am alone so weird, that want to raise alpine strawberries and tree peonies from seed? Oh, well, I will have to go by what my search engine recommends- put seeds in the fridge dry for 2-6 weeks, then soak them for half an hour, then put them between damp paper towels and put them back into the fridge for one more week. Then sow them in soiless mix almost on the surface and cover with some sort of plastic, so the moisture would stay in. They should sprout in 5 days to 5 weeks. Well, hopefully I will have some tiny plants in two months or so.. :P .

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

haven't done it myself...

I know there's a chapter in lee reich's 'uncommon fruits for every garden' book, but I haven't gotten around to checking it for you...

floppydee
Newly Registered

I am new at starting things from seed this year, not gardening itself. I usually always buy organic strawberry plants but this year I got the alpine seed, both red and yellow. I started the seeds about 5 weeks ago and I STILL have nothing. Not a one. From my googling, I read it is really hard and takes quite sometime.

So I will be going to my organic farm nearby and buying them again, lol. One with a red X near it in my book.

GOOD LUCK. If it works for you, keep track of everything you did and I will give it another try :lol:

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Floppydee, did you treat them with cold before putting them to the soil?

84pagirl

A few years back I sprinkled a couple of packets of seedsin a partially shaded flower bed in at a cabin we have at the mountains...boy have they taken off I have strawberries everywhere. I had forgotten that they were Alpine strawberries and never tried them because I didnt think they were ripening being shaded. Well about 2 years ago I tasted one of those cute little white berries...yum were they ever good. they have multiplied so quickly that I even brought some runners home and put them in a pot they produced too. Every year I just keep letting the leaves pile up in that flower bed. rarely have a weed the plants stay moist and wow has everything grown. I say try them you'll be surprised. Next time I get up there I'll take a pic and post it.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Yes, please, post it. I read that Pineapple Crush are the best tasting ones, but they are quite rare for now.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

:D Update: my alpines are sprouting - both yellow and red. They didn't show much life untill I put them on the low setting heating pad and then sprung up very quickly, and a lot of them. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I also got Pineapple Crush and couple other varieties, and they are right now chilling in the fridge.

new_2_gardening
Newly Registered

That is wonderful I am jealous! No actually I didn't do all the cold, etc to prepare the seeds, I guess I should have researched better. Hmmm now I am going to have to see if I have any seeds left and give it a go again, and have more patience ;) And if I don't need them this year, they would make perfect gifts!!

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Yes, try it with chilling first and then with heat pad on low setting - they sprout like crazy. But they are so tiny :? Like half an inch tall and already getting a tiny true leaf. At this rate it will take a while to get to true size. Should I give them some fertilizer? Worm castings tea?
I think it is time for my second batch to go to the dirt.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

So far no luck-they grow nicely, but once replanted outside - die right away. :cry: What is the secret?

Return to “All Other Fruit”