Perslane

Strawberries in a Planter? Yes or no?

I've got a strawberry plant that's really starting to take off now, about 23 berries so far. Should I leave it in the planter or find a spot in the ground for it? I'm wondering if leaving it in the planter will keep it from producing more berries? :(

Help always appreciated!

applestar
Mod

How big is the planter? ... and how far apart are they planted? ... oh, and is it a June bearer, everbearer, or day neutral strawberries? Oh, wait, it's ONE plant? OK forget distance apart.

Perslane

The planters probably 16 inches in height and width. Unfortunately I don't know what kind they are, bought it at the farmers market couple weekends ago. I'll be sure to ask them this weekend.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

one plant in a planter that size might work alright, but the runners won't have anywhere to go...if you're looking to just keep one plant, you'll need to keep cutting them.

Pippin Limbertwig

Perslane,

I think if you transplant it now you'll probably lose the set fruit and maybe cause it to stop flowering for the rest of the season.

I'd leave it in the container until it quits fruiting on its own - then move it later. Strawberries don't get huge roots - I've seen them grown in containers a lot.

Well drained without being too dry is the trick - and when you do transplant don't go too deep.

Perslane

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll hold off moving them then, don't want them to hate me for it. I'm a day or two away from enjoying the fruits of my labor, so to speak.

Return to “All Other Fruit”