luludi

Lemon tree

Ok, I wanted to get 1-2 lemon trees since we moved in this house. I have a nice sunny spot, where I can protect from frost. We're located in Charlotte, NC, so I'm planning to raise in huge pots. But what I really want to know is a type will make lemons for the longest harvest possible and juicy. We consume a lot of lemons on a daily basis and buying organic is out of our budget.
So if someone has experience or could recomend one, I would really appreciate. I may get 2-3 different, since takes years for them to grow and I want to have lemons .
By mistake I posted this question in another forum and didn't recieve any replies. Hope I'll find an answer here. I need to order ASAP and have my juicy lemons soon.
thank you

applestar
Mod

Oh dear, I saw your other post, but didn't reply because I don't have actual experience with fruiting lemon trees. Being farther north, I'll have to bring citrus plants inside in the winter. As far as I can tell, Meyer, Improved Meyer, Variegated, and Ponderosa are the only varieties sold for container culture. Of these, I believe the two Meyer varieties are the better selection for lemon juice.

I hope someone with more experience with lemon varieties will respond with good juicing varieties.

I keep wanting to buy a lemon tree, but have held back because I don't really think I have the right lots of sun but cool room to keep it in. In the mean time, I'm constantly sowing seeds from various citrus fruits we consume, and I now have something like 7 or 8 seedlings growing. :roll: If I wait a little longer, I might have flowering/fruiting age trees. :lol:

luludi

thank you applestar. I'm heading to the nursery in an hour.
Hope they have something there.
As of my lemon trees, I don't have a sunny place either. Actually I do, but need that room for growing my veggie seeds.
I plan to keep them outside, just like my aunt in my native does.
I have a very well protected sunny spot and planning to put them in a plastic closet during winter. I can even put some type of heat there.
I'll post picts here next fall and if I have success and enjoy juicy organic lemons (? 1$ at stores?) I'll let all of you know.

Return to “All Other Fruit”