johnnytomatoseed

blueberries in clay

:D Is growing blueberries in clay a total waste? Will raised beds help?

applestar
Mod

Blueberries, as you may be aware, is native to the Pine Barrens in NJ.

At a NJ Pinelands Preservation Alliance native plant sale, the head gardener told me the secret to growing Pine Barrens native plants when all you have is clay soil is to build a 12" deep raised bed filled with sand over it. These plants will grow roots down through the sand into the moist clay and be perfectly happy.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

There is a strawberry/blueberry you pick them, farm not far from me.

I don't know their gardening practices, but I have seen acres of blueberries growing in: Red Clay soil in rows, not in beds.

And they don't have slug issues like I do! I just don't get it!

When I asked her about them, she just hands me a bag of Aluminum Sulfate and says, they grow like weeds!

johnnytomatoseed

:D thanks to the lady from Arkansas. Our grey/ blue clay is probably not the same as your red clay however it is good to hear from some one who has seen BBerries successfully grown in clay in clay. Last year I did exactly what you suggested so I have hope again.
I have a 1 st cousin who is a police chief in north western Arkansas. Thanks again

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Oops I think that should read Ammonium Sulfate.

I didn't take the bag she showed me, but it is to keep the soil very acid.

I bought Azaleas, so I may need to go find some of it.

rusticbeds
Newly Registered

You might want to look at an organic approach and use agricultural sulfur for acidification and the look to improve the porosity of your clay soil. Initially, I spend time and effort to establish a great home for a two year old potted plant. The ROI is high. Most clay is very fertile...if you have super weeds, it is a rich soil. Have raised blueberries for years in clay soil. Check pH now and then. I regularly add old sawdust, woodchips and/or burlap coffee bean bags to the top surrounding surface.

When I moved a few years ago and took some of my fave berries with me, I was astonished at how extensive the roots had spread into very firm clay soil three to four feet from the bush base.

Blueberries are one of the easiest luxuries to grow well...except for those birds!!!

Return to “All Other Fruit”