hay

strawberry roots

I bought 20 strawberry roots in a plastic bag. Yeah, I know, it was not the smartest thing to do, but it was all I could find anywhere. Anyway, I have these little black plants with roots and no top green growth at all. I washed them and then packed them in a shallow pan and covered them with composted cow manure and watered. When might I see some top growth so I can set them out properly in a strawberry jar? Right now they look pathetic, but I am hopeful they will revive.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The roots should not be black but rather light brown to dark brown. When you look at the crown there should be an obvious bud that will give rise to the new leaves. That bud, if that is the right term, should show clear signs of life by being a cream, pinkish, greenish color. If the crown is totally black/dark brown with no sign of buds, then you are probably out of luck with this batch of plants. There are many top quality on line vendors who will send you very healthy bare rooted plants in a bag. There is nothing wrong with that method, but the plants do need to have been handled and stored properly in order to arrive in healthy condition.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Would add one other thing Hay.
Strawberries do not require large amounts of nitrogen and your cow manure compost will surely be a bit heavy on it.
As a result the plants will be inclined to grow a very heavy canopy rather than puting their energy into fruit production.
They need good well drained soil but refrain from too heavy feeding until the flowers are setting. Then a good Tom feed is ideal as it is high in Potash for the fruit.

Jona.

Return to “All Other Fruit”