mrsgreenthumbs

Blueberries - will coffee grounds work?

I have been wanting a blue berry bush for a while now. My step son (bubba) eat's blueberries like candy and can never get enough of them. We of course want to foster this habit so while making a run for more manure yesterday at the home depot I was stopped in my tracks when I saw a stand chalk full of blueberry bushes, some with little white looking fruit! I picked out the best one I could find and took it home!

So of course I don't know squat about the thing besides it needs a lot of acid. Soooo... lol I was hoping to get a crash course in blueberry bush care and feeding and ask, Will mixing coffee grounds in with the soil suffice the bushes craving for acids and keep my garden Organic?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Coffee grounds are probably better than nothing, but elemental sulphur is best, IMO. I've read that used coffee grounds actually don't contain much acid ... most of it having ended up in the coffee. Dilute vinegar can work, too. :)

I think, if one is going to tinker with the pH of the soil, it's important to have a soil test done beforehand, and periodically afterward. That way, you won't have to wonder whether you're pushing the pH too far one way or the other. JMO, though. :)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I know a couple of folks who claim they got great results from planting blueberries in a mixture that was 50/50 coffee grounds/sawdust in the hole. our area is really acidic to start with, and I haven't seen the proof, but that's the word on the street.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Around my area, sawdust mulch in the spring is standard practice. :)

Return to “All Other Fruit”