Seananers

Re: COFFEE CHERRIES ARE RIPENING!

applestar wrote:Image
...you know how some days, a little discovery in your (Winter indoor) garden just absolutely makes your day?
image.jpg
Wow it looks like you really know what your doind applestar. just a quick question but: I got this little sprout n' grow coffee kit from walmart because I had some spare money and I wanted to make some home grown coffee but I have a bit of a problem, I don't know exactly whether I can keep them inside for most of the year and let them outside during the warmer months or if I should keep them inside all the time if I start them indoors.

applestar
Mod

Ideally, keep them inside during the cold months when temps fall below 50°F, but try to let them be outside for the warmer months. I keep mine where they are shaded during the hotted part of the day.

A bit of advice -- don't think of these kinds of projects as growing for the harvest -- if there are any harvest, it's a bonus. Coffee makes handsome house plant to enjoy while they are inside.

I'm a bit concerned that you got your seeds from walmart -- I have heard that the seeds need to be very fresh to be viable/germinate. Good luck.

Seananers

applestar wrote:Ideally, keep them inside during the cold months when temps fall below 50°F, but try to let them be outside for the warmer months. I keep mine where they are shaded during the hotted part of the day.

A bit of advice -- don't think of these kinds of projects as growing for the harvest -- if there are any harvest, it's a bonus. Coffee makes handsome house plant to enjoy while they are inside.

I'm a bit concerned that you got your seeds from walmart -- I have heard that the seeds need to be very fresh to be viable/germinate. Good luck.
well I just hope that I can get some kind of growth from them. :| if it doesn't work for me this time then I'll just get some fresh seeds :)

applestar
Mod

Update for the 6 seedlings :wink:

applestar
Mod

Here is the big --original-- coffee plant/shrub now. At this point, it has browned and dropped all of the leaves that were lining the branches along the interior hardwood of the branches. The new leaves on the outer greenwood branches have turned dark green -- I have read that this is due to increased chlorophyl in the leaves in adaptation to the lower, indoor light levels so more light can be gathered and processed.

With this size plant, the lost dry leaves represent significant mass -- about one paper grocery bag full. I keep them to dry out completely, then crumble and snip into mulch for the coffee and other tropicals. But now the airy interior allows more light to reach all of the leaves, and the exposed, corky barked branches give the plant an architectural look.

Can you see in the 2nd photo how this plant has grown two side shoots that are wanting to grow up rather than sideways? One from last year, and another, even more vigorous one this year. I think these are the shoots that I would promote to "renew/revitalize" the shrub for productivity as mentioned in the video I posted about earlier. If doing this, I would have to LOP the trunk just above these shoots. I'm not prepared to do that yet, but if I do, I would like to do it in the season when coffee cuttings can be rooted and grown outside, and try to take cutting and root all of the upper branches (don't ask me what I would do with them all if successful :> )

applestar
Mod

I don't know if they are susceptible to mites but I sprinkled some of the predatory mite shipment vermiculite on the baby coffee just in case:

...and here is a collage of parts of the big coffee -- getting all dusty and yearning for the warm weather when it can be lugged outside where it can be sprayed down with hose or by rain. You might be able to spot the new side shoots/branches and some leafnode growths that might be start of flower buds :-()

applestar
Mod

First coffee flowers to bloom this year :-()

applestar
Mod

Coffee is blooming again :)

applestar
Mod

applestar
Mod

My big coffee plant was seriously neglected this year. It would normally have gone outside by beginning of June, but we had those 40°F dips that really threw a monkey wrench in the timing. Then it was never the right time for various reasons. So we have been suffering with the plant lights on, adding to the heat in the house. :roll: And the poor coffee, which really needs cool nights to thrive has been stuck inside without the night relief when temp outside goes down as much as 20 degrees lower than the inside despite the A/C.

My DD's finally lugged it outside for me on Tuesday.

Despite being pot bound and being subjected to the heat and alternately being dried out, then flooded, it has been going through blooming cycles, and has even set some fruits/cherries. There was even a dried up cherry from several cycles ago that had fully ripened and then must have turned into raisin without my noticing it. Image

...I extracted the two seeds and planted them. Hopefully they will sprout. Image

applestar
Mod

Coffee update :D

First time seeing this Level of multi-cherry clusters. :-()

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

Very cool. Gonna make tea from the fruit as well as coffee from the roasted bean?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I am glad I found this thread. I ordered 100 coffee seeds 2 weeks ago. Online says I can't grow these but it looks like I can.

How long after your seeds germinated and grew a plant did it take for you to get ripe cherries?

If I plant all 100 seeds and get 100 plants in my garden by May 1st wonder if I will have ripe cherries by November?

applestar
Mod

Well... these are shrubs, so you will have to be a bit more patient. This thread is actually following the pictured plant from seed, so it’s almost 8 years old. But remember that mine is growing in a container and indoors for 7 months of the year. I believe where they are grown commercially, it only takes about 3-4 years.

Like many shrub/tree seeds, they need to be fresh to be viable. I hope you get good ones. Keep us updated.

Note from the beginning of this thread that my first purchased seeds took several months to germinate with abysmal germination rate, but you will see in my later entries that freshly harvested seeds from fully ripened coffee cherries germinated 100% in 3-4 weeks — typical tropical shrub/tree seed germination time at least for things I have tried when seeds were freshly harvested and didn’t need any stratification.

applestar
Mod

BTW, this plant has started to grow what looks like replacement leaders since ...last year? The year before last? — side Shoots that want to grow straight up. I think this might be what one of the links described as renewing the plant by chopping it down nearly to the ground, then waiting for the new leaders to fill out.

I was GOING TO take cuttings from all of the branch ends, then cut the main trunk down to just above the replacement leader shoots LAST SUMMER, but I didn’t get around to it. Seeing the massive cherry clusters ripening now, I’m glad I didn’t ...but wonder if this might be the “last hurrah” that fruit trees sometimes exhibit? I really do want to propagate more plants from its cuttings this season just in case. ...just on principle, I CANNOT chop down what appears to be an otherwise healthy plant without taking cuttings and propagating it first. :roll:

I do also have 5-6 baby plants that I grew from fresh seeds 2 years ago. They were somewhat neglected last season so they are not very well grown... only in 3-4” containers still — I Need to uppot them this spring and really pay more attention to them. They do make excellent houseplants, not needing particularly strenuous care — light, humidity, water, fertilizer — to keep them alive.

applestar
Mod

I have too many projects going and getting overwhelmed by other responsibilities. I finally got around to harvesting the coffee cherries — some of them had started to shrivel into mummies/raisins. :oops:

Here they are in measured zip bags — total harvest from what seemed like loaded bush was 1-1/4 cups. :o ...maybe this will yield enough for a couple of cups of coffee? :>

...I have to decide quickly whether I want to try growing some of these seeds before they lose viability. :| nutz:

applestar
Mod

I discovered a single coffee cherry starting to blush on my much neglected coffee tree ...

dobro13

I just found this thread. Thanks

applestar
Mod

Coffee cherries are starting to ripen :-()

imafan26
Mod

It takes about 9 months to ripen and they do not usually ripen evenly which is why coffee is a labor intensive crop. The cherries need to be hand picked. You have done a good job with your coffee tree. I have not grown one for a few years. I might look for some seedlings and pick one up again. Coffee seedlings are usually weeded out in the botanical gardens. Most people who can grow gardenia can grow coffee. They are in the same family and like similar conditions. The coffee flowers are fragrant, they just don't smell like coffee.

applestar
Mod

Thanks @imafan. Coffee is turning into one of my favorite houseplants. It is pretty forgiving, and does well in the winter indoor conditions — looking handsome with dark green , glossy and healthy-looking leaves and interesting bark on the older trunk/branches, even when not blooming or fruiting... and it’s practically carefree in the summer when placed outside in protected mostly shady location.

In addition to the 3 (or 4) newer seed-grown plants, some of which have started to branch and will likely bloom next season, I tried propagating from cuttings of the original plant, and these 4 or 5 appear to have taken root. I have them at the end of the Winter Wonderland lights along with the blooming orchids, and will uppot them in spring when they go outside. Since they are cutting-grown, they should mature and be ready to bloom/fruit earlier.

applestar
Mod

I promise not to bore you with too many progress photos, but I just had to share this one :-()

...yeah, I really should’ve moved the Venus flytrap...

Bluenoser
Newly Registered

Thanks for this post. I'm currently soaking 10 seeds for planting. I'm hopeful that they were treated and still viable, but will find another solution if they aren't, such as buying a seedling. Great information throughout.

Return to “All Other Fruit”