Tom the Elder

Table grape recommendations (zone 9)

My son wants to put in table grape vines this year, preferably seedless. I am hesitant though because, although there are wine grapes in this area, I have not seen anyone growing table grapes and as I have asked around I have not found anyone who has heard of table grapes in this area.

I expect there are varieties that I could make work with enough care but I don't want to get into lots of chemical sprays. I am not a fanatic about chemicals, but prefer to avoid them. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cagolddigger

I live in Sac. and I have 5 table grapes growing.
2 of them were here when I moved in.
They are grapes with seeds (green & red).
Super sweet!

I took clippings from them and have started 3 more with great results.
I use them for eating and making jellies. My neighbors get clippings from me every year and start their own.

You might want to try OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware), Home Depot, or Lowes. Your local nursery might have them too.

If you can't find any let me know. I can always start some clippings this year and have them ready for you next year. They are great producers. The green grape produces approx. 3-5 five gallon buckets of grapes. That's from one vine. Last year I got approx. 3 1/2 gallons of juice from them for jelly.

Mail order catalogs aren't going to do much unless they here in Cal. Out of state suppliers can't send them to Cali.

Tom the Elder

Cagolddigger, thanks for the info. I was hoping to avoid seeds, but could live with that for 3 1/2 gals of juice from one vine! If I am unsuccessful with the nursery I will take you up on your kind offer.

Return to “All Other Fruit”