applestar
Mod

Do you have *anything* that would reach that tent? Pole pruner? Access to high pressure waterhose or a tree sprayer with jet attachment? If you can wash the caterpillars off the tree, I'm sure your "girls" will be more than happy to search them out on the ground :wink:

If you could just tear up the tent, it'll make life uncomfortable for them and expose the caterpillars to predatory wasps and birds. They'll also be forced to repair or make another tent -- all that silk comes out of them and (I think) would help to weaken them.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Hey, now why didn't I think of that?

I have Bt and a pump up sprayer, I should be able to get enough pressure in it to reach them, if not, I know hubby or one of the sons can.

I had requested a ladder, they are painters, and have all of them on jobs in progress. But, hubby forgets to grab one.

I want my own ladder :evil:
Whatever will I do when the mulberries get ripe? My boost for tree shimmying, burned up (the porch roof).

Hey blackberries are budding out, soon we will get the last cold blast of this season, and it is: Whistle... they are off and running, here comes the shovel out of the mothballs... rounding the corner is the hoe that is so notorious on weeds... tee hee

I think that I need to start watching racing again?

Okay, I will try the sprayer, if I still can't reach it... look out hubby, cause I am going to go get my own ladder and chain it here! ha ha

I want peaches, not raising it for bug food! -wall-
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

applestar
Mod

You could dare your sons to shoot it down with an arrow.... 8) I've thrown rocks at them myself.... :lol:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I found a broken painters extension pole, it won't hold the brush anymore, but the broken, jagged metal on the end, sure wreaked havoc on the tent... ha ha

I had the pump up sprayer all filled and ready, and realized.
This isn't poison. It isn't going to kill them on contact.

So, fine, I threw the tent and worms on the ground, and just happily sprayed every leaf on both trees, come on eat one, I dare ya!!! ha ha.

I wasn't out of Bt yet, so every weed, every blackberry, even the locust that I hate so badly got sprayed... come eat some leaves!

My stupid chickens looked at the worms and ran the other way... some allies they were!

I really need new chickens when worms can bully them! Sheesh.

No tents in my fruit trees now though!!!

applestar
Mod

Ozark Lady, I want to -- gently -- remind you of your recent encounter with the power company death sprayers.

I understand that an element of GLEE was involved here, and I know how that feels :-(), but don't forget that Bt affects all caterpillars. I let Plantain grow in my lawn for the Buckeye butterfly larvae and Violets for the Hairstreaks and Frittillaries. Large clumps of 5 species of milkweed are, of course, for the Monarch butterfly larvae. Virginia Creeper moth larvae live in the Virgina Creepers, and Clearwing moth larvae live in the honey suckle. I could go on, but you get the picture. :wink:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I only mixed up one gallon. And I sprayed the peach tree, the apricot tree, the garden seedlings, and then the blackberry and raspberry. When you consider that I have 20 acres, with about 100x 150' in my present garden, how far exactly do you assume that one gallon went?

I had a whole bottle of it. One gallon was not alot. It didn't even fully cover just one hedgerow around my garden. It did cover the trees, the seedlings, the berries, and stuff within a few feet of my fruit trees.

Also the Bt is only effective for about 3 days? short term and then it is gone. It does not have a residual that will keep on killing.

I agree though, it was more satisfying to burn them last year.
Just like it is less damaging to just cut the large trees in the right-of-way. Leave the brush for wildlife.

I know, I will get killed for this, but, to be honest: I don't like butterflies, I don't want to ever encourage one to be here. Now I don't actively try to kill them, but, I never would plant anything to encourage them. We all have our likes and dislikes, and I am patient with most insects etc, I just brush spiders out of the way when working, but I personally don't like butterflies. We all have our thing. And they just aren't my 'thing'.

I don't think any insect should be indiscriminately killed. But, if you dislike an insect, I see nothing wrong with just not encouraging it. I don't swat butterflies either, by the way. I just glare at them and wonder what mischief they just did.

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”