AngryItalian

Growing avocados from seed

hi everyone, I have 2 questions about avocadoes; I already have 2 plants i grew from seed and one is doing great while one isn't. One is a reed avocado that i grew from the seed from and organic avo that i got at work, the second is your common hass like the one you get at the store. they are both the same age (planted at the same time). The Reed is growing fine while the hass is half the size, with very few leaves and the new leaves that it put out are all curled in and the tips and the sides are black and withered...
any idea as to whats wrong?

for seconds, i just wanted to know if anyone has any good advice to start avocados from seed:we just got some more organic avos at work, i believe the are fuertes, and i want to try to grow these from seed also

thanks

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure what is wrong with you plant provided that it has been

a) watered properly
b) not over watered
c) does not have a fungal infection of some sort

Those would be my first assumptions as far as a problem. The watering problems jump to mind first. If there is a fungal infection there should be mycelia in the soil and/or on the plant.

(Mycelia are fungal cells, will probably look like long stringy bits)

AngryItalian

ok, i checked the soil and it doesnt seem to be a fungal prob
as far as the watering ill try keeping that in mind and see if that changes anyting, although i find that odd cos ive taken similar care of both plants.
in any case, ill post up some pics in a bit. maybe that might help
thanks

AngryItalian

ok here goes:
heres the two plants side to side to give u an idea of the difference in size even tho they are both 2 years old now
[img]https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/elbanfo/misc/100_0032.jpg[/img]

heres a closeup of the problem plant
[img]https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/elbanfo/misc/100_0033.jpg[/img]

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

It looks to me that your plant is lacking nutrients. I don't see evidence of a fungal infection (that doesn't mean that there isn't one though). Try fertilize with liquid seaweed fertilizer once a week and see if the problem clears up.
Last edited by opabinia51 on Sat May 27, 2006 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

AngryItalian

thanks, ill try dong that!
in any case i just got some extremely overripe avos from work so im gonna try planting those next just to see what happens

Denny
Newly Registered

Avocado seedlings

When you plant avocado seeds place them point up just under the dirt so they still get some light but do not get sunburn. We plant over 300 seeds a year at the research station in Irvine. Some plants look great some plants never take off. It's easiest to call it a bad seed. Remember Hass or Reed is only half of the parentage.

SNOWWOLF

LOL I have the opposite problem ,mine are growing like mad. Only really confusing bit about the larger of my pair is why its now putting out leaves where old ones had been shed, we are talking all the way down to the base of the trunk from where the very first set of true leaves dropped. Its just over 2 years old and other than this strange developement seems a happy healthy plant. As I have never had one last this long in soil(its in a huge pot in my front yard) Im not sure if this is normal or not.

AngryItalian

ok, so the smaller one has officially died...
I did plant 3 more seeds and all 3 sprouted and one got to about 3 inches tall, then the worst happened: baby possum!! Darn think knocked down a bunch of my pots and the avocado seedling snapped... yargh!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

These are the trials and tribulations associated with gardening... makes it that much more exciting when we have success!

There was a lady who did the same thing that you are doing Angry.

You know, you might try growing the plants in wider pots so that they are less likely to be knocked over. The trees seem to be getting quite tall and I'm pretty sure that by the height that you posted, that the root balls would be taking up the entire pots (that you currently use) anyway.

Just a thought.

PS
I have been told by our local organic gardening expert that you should start out with small pots and move up as the plants get larger. If you start out with a large pot and a single seed, there is an increased chance of fungal infection.

That being said: I usually just start out with a large pot, except with tomatoes and flowers.

AngryItalian

update: I caught it!!
so i got home from work tonight and the darn baby possum is right there on my fence awfully close to my plants again! i was able to catch it so i walked it off a few blocks to an open area with plenty of trees so hopefully it wont come back round here no more! good thing too cos my naighbour has a pond and that possum almost knocked the pump and hose off which would hae floodd his and my yard....

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Excellant! I like your technique. Perhaps spreading some ground black (or white) pepper around the area to detur the little guy from coming around. Though don't use cayenne pepper because this can wreak havoc on the mucus membranes of mammals.

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”