tn_veggie_gardner

When do I bring my dwarfs our of their basement dormancy?

Exactly as the subject states, I have a Dwarf Lime & a Dwarf Cavendish (sp?) Banana tree in basement dormancy right now (I had no room to bring them indoors for the Winter). The lime seems to be doing quite well down there & actually still has more than half of its original leaves it had when I first put it down there in the Fall! The Banana tree seems to be quite dormant though, it does not appear to be dead. Two questions: Should I fertilize the banana (or also the lime) tree & if so, will Foliage Pro 9-3-6 be fine? Question 2, When can I safely bring them back outdoors? Does it have to be aftet last frost date or can I get away with a few weeks earlier if I mulch the tops or something? Any & all help appreciated. Thanks! - Steve

P.S. - On their third year & growing quite well, I'm looking forward to getting some Raspberries & Blackberries this year! =) I also have Strawberries, Dwarf Mango trees started from seeds & a few other fruits to add a sweet variety to my 2010 Garden. =)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't grow tropicals like that, but since no one else jumped in, I'll make a stab. To start with I would definitely wait until after the last frost date to bring them out. They are tropical. Not only would frost kill them, but they don't like cold. They prefer night time temps close to 70 and daytime temps in the 80's. Be patient and wait til it warms up! Don't fertilize them until you bring them out, you don't want to be fertilizing dormant plants.

Sounds like you are going to have a a wonderful fruit garden! I have very limited space so don't have much, but I have strawberries and raspberries and this year I'm starting a blueberry bush. Nothing like fruit from your garden!

tn_veggie_gardner

Thanks for the input, rainbow. =) I'll just keep checking on those guys every few weeks, then bring them out late April/early May. Did I mention I also have some St. Croix grapes on the way? ;-) Muahahaha...wine...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...lol.

Return to “All Other Fruit”