applestar
Mod

Pruning indoor citrus questions

I have several citrus seedlings. Some were sown last year, some are older. I'm primarily growing them for fun. If they grow up and eventually flower/fruit, that would be great, if they taste good, even better, if not, no biggie. :wink:

I'm in Zone 6b, snow is covering most of the yard still, but all the citrus -- let's see, I have.... 8 containers, some with multiples -- are starting to grow new shoots and bigger leaves. Is it time to prune them now? I wasn't going to until they can be put outside after last avg. frost (later in April) when they will also be repotted as necessary.

Incidentally, all the Zone 9/10 plants that I have inside -- fuchsias, avocados, mango, even rubber plants, are starting to grow new shoots. Is it the longer day length triggering this? (I haven't fertilized them or given them any more water than I normally do.) I know fuchsias are supposed to get their first 1/3 cut pruning now, but what about others? I'm really tempted to give them a first pruning now, then prune again later at repot, rather than letting them keep growing an ungainly weak growth at this time.... Also, if they're going into a growth spurt, I think I DO have to fertilize....

If I do decide to prune of the top 1/3 of the shoots (or pinch as appropriate), is there anything I can do with the cuttings?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Well, since no one else has ventured (yet) to answer, I'll quote a part of Sunset's discussion on Citrus at you.... :lol: Even though there is a paragraph called "Citrus in containers," there's no pruning info in it, just as the "Pruning" paragraph mentions nothing about containerized plants. :x But, occasionally, even Sunset makes errors. (Whoa! :shock: Write it down! Sunset is not perfect; merely excellent and wonderful! :lol:)

From page 278 (7th ed.): "Commercial trees are allowed to carry branches right to ground....Growers prune only to remove twiggy growth and weak branches or, in young plants, to nip back wild growth and balance the plant....Many citrus are thorny, so wear gloves and a long-sleeved shirt when picking fruit or pruning."

There's more, but these looked like the most relevant points for your situation.

Maybe someone will come by soon with actual experience in this matter, but to me it doesn't look as if you're harming your young plants by letting them be.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

Thanks, cynthia. :wink: I also got a :lol: with you saying something that might be construed as negative about Sunset. :lol:

I found ONE use for those citrus leaves, and an EXCELLENT one too: Thai coconut milk soups!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

many of my indoor plants have started moving, too. ferns, cacti and succulents...even have flower buds on a sweet pepper that I brought in just before the first frost on a whim.

Return to “All Other Fruit”