kountryboy
Newly Registered

planting fruit trees

I am getting 10 fruit trees and am going to plant them in the backyard. The only problem is it is lower all the water drains to a drainage ditch. What I was wondering is if I build up the soil about 3 ft around the trunk of the tree would it be ok or do I need to find another spot to plant them.

Thank yall for the help.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I take it you do mean that you are thinking of making a three foot high mound on top of which to plant the trees Kountryboy.
If you could find a different plot I think it would be preferable.
If you do have to go ahead then I would suggest that you use a very dwarfing rootstock. MM9 or similar as the root system would at least be a small one. It would then be similar to planting in a large pot.
Remember to stake well as wet soils give poor stability.

Fruit trees in general do not like having wet feet. It can cause many problems from Phytophthora to collar rots and cankers.

Jona

Blueskycw
Newly Registered

Hi - a word about peach trees. There are several varieties that should do well in the colder climates. I am in zone 5 and grow "Reliance" very well.
I understand that Reliance Peach can go colder than zone 5, also.

While many people believe that heavy spraying is necessary, I don't spray the Peach at all. I do monitor it, and when I see any leaves affected by blister, always in early spring, I simply remove them. The blister fungus stops being a problem as the days get warmer.

The outside of the peaches do have some blemishes usually. However, I simply peel them - the fruit inside is delicious and not affected by problems that show up on the outer skin. I would rather take the time to peel them and feed my family chemical-free fruit, than worry about a few blemishes.

Good luck! Peaches are a wonderful home fruit tree to grow.
Blueskycw

hay

Fruit trees DO NOT like wet feet. Any area that has standing water or very slow draining water is not a good area. It is best to choose an area that is 'high and dry'. It is best to build a soil berm to catch water for the trees, but a berm in a wet area is useless. Wet areas can still soak down and drown the roots.

Return to “All Other Fruit”