Yuliya
Newly Registered

White flies on grape leaves

Hello everyone,

Please help me with information on how to get rid of white flies on grape leaves. Those flies are small, and they have light tan colored stripe across their wings. They lay eggs inside the leaves, you can see it, and the leaves are now got light spots all over. Once I shake the plant, the flies get off in the air, and then come back to the leaves. I tried to spray it with insect. soap, but the flies are so fast, and it is hard to cover them with the soap mist.

Please help! (if you happened to now organic remedy, it is great!)

Thank you

Grey
Greener Thumb

Yep, we have lots of organic remedies. :)

Neem oil does the trick. You can usually find it at big box stores - I found it at Lowes (my Home Depot didn't have it). It doesn't even smell bad - mix about 2 teaspoons with water & spray your plants either in the early morning or late evening, after the sun is mostly down to prevent scorch.

Yuliya
Newly Registered

Thanks Grey,

Would it be OK to use the oil if daily temperatures reach 90F-100F, no clouds? Would it affect fruites?
Hmmm, I am wondering, would the oil kill the bugs, or the bugs just do not like the smell?

Thanks again.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Another option is to simply spray the plant with a soap/water solution and you can also spray your plant with compost tea just as a preventative measure to prevent disease and other infestations.

Yuliya
Newly Registered

Thanks everyone for the helpful advices!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are most welcome

Return to “All Other Fruit”