Carlyj

dying dreams of germinated grape seeds.

So.. I found this wonderful wild grape vine around my neighborhood and decided to take some of the seeds from the grapes and germinate them around september. I wanted to create an arbor with my father in the spring, and obviously, just have the pleasure of tending my own grapes in my backyard. I had this strange feeling that I needed to check up on my seeds wrapped up in a damp paper towel in the back of my fridge one day, and found that they were missing (my mom probably threw them out). my heart was broken, and now I am desperately trying to find a way to still grow seeds and plant them in the spring. does anyone have a solution, or even a suggestion?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Hi, Carly.

How very disappointing! :( I don't know if this will make you feel any better, though: I'm married and *still* have to defend my gardening practices in the kitchen! "What's this!" DH says, holding up an old yogurt container of...scraps for compost (we've only been doing compost for 20-plus years). Or "What are these for?" as he holds up a glass jar of soap slivers, used--as I've told him multiple times--for making insecticidal sprays. :x

So it's not just your mom, it's just that it was your gardening venture that was squashed and your scientific experiment.

However, there may be something to salvage here. I just did a couple of Internet searches.

1) The first one was on the phrase "grape propagation." That was way too many returns to deal with!

2) So I went to "grape vine propagation" based on the results of Search #1. This was much better. You might learn some very useful stuff looking at a few of the articles from this search. But there were still a lot of sites.

3) Search #3--and the last one I did, because I myself am not looking for grapes to propagate--was on the phrase "grape vines for sale Pennsylvania." Do *not* do this search first; there are a lot of people who will take your money and send you sticks of any old plant in return. If they send you that much.

So read about propagation of grapes (evidently the fruit runs more true to type via vine propagation vs. seed) and find out what is special about growing grapes in your climate/soil region. Then research the reputations of those who offer climate-adapted vine cuttings for sale in your area. *Then,* if you can, visit a couple of these vendors.

Based on what I read, I think you can still have some plants this year. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Carly,

The loss of your seeds might have been a blessing in disguise. It is my understanding that growing Grapes from seed is not the way to go at all. Apparently Grape seedlings are highly variable and it is very unlikely that seedlings will yield a plant of the same quality that you expect.

The Grape vine you speak of may be 'wild' now but if it bears quality fruit it may have originally been cultivated and escaped. Even if it was a lucky chance, seeds are not the best route to take. If you wish a vine with the same fruit, Grapes should be propagated asexually not from seeds.

So what you are going to want to research is Grape cuttings or layers. Grapes will layer themselves naturally so you may be able to find sections of vine that you can dig. Or you can do it yourself this summer. You can also take cuttings, either softwood or hardwood. The timing on those varies with hardwood cuttings being taken while the vine is dormant.

Norm

Carlyj

Norm and Cynthia,

Thank you very much for the useful information. With the advice both of you gave me, I feel like I actually have a chance. I norm, am going to start with your idea by looking around my neighborhood in the spring for some vine sections. And if I cannot find any, I will turn to your idea, Cindy, and maybe purchase my own little vine cutting :)
Wish me luck!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

You got it! :)

Cynthia

Return to “All Other Fruit”