peachguy

Blueberry Flowers

I just planted My blueberries about a week ago, and they have some flowers on them(which were on the plants when I bought them). They have already started to fall off but it doesn't look like they are growing into blueberries. Is it to early in the season, or what?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Did you have a cold night last night?

peachguy

No we didn't, it has been quiet nice the past couple weeks. During the day it is usually in the high teens(in celcius) and in the high one digits at night. Also my strawberries have already started and are turning into the early stages (when they are green) so I don't no what is wrong with my bluebarries.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, the single digits is still pretty cold. The blossoms may have fallen off because the plant(s) were stressed from the cold. They should come back but, if they don't. Do not fret, there is always next year.

peachguy

Could it be that they don't get pollinated, and how long do they gerneraly flower for. I have bluecrop, bluejay, and northland.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

To be honest I've never stopped to take notice how long my blueberries flower for. You may be correct but, I don't have any evidence to back up your hypothesis. I would be inclined to think that it was the cold nigh that did it.

Come to think of it, I have never heard of flowers falling off because of a lack of pollination. Flowers are basically the structures of plants that house the gametes (one copy of the genome) and through fertilization the female gamete is infused with a second copy of that species genome (with differences) which, forms what is called a diploid cells with two copies of the genome.

Anyway, without getting all technical on you, lack of two copies of the genome in a gametangium shouldn't change the structure of that part of a plant and therefore lead to the flowers falling off.
Last edited by opabinia51 on Wed May 17, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peachguy

If I post a picture of the Area where the flowers are falling will it help, but the pic. must wait because its night and I don't think night is a good time to pics. :lol:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Sure, a picture can always help. I'm thinking that it was most likely the cold but, my mind is strarting to become quite interested and I'm going to go and do some research on your idea as well as mine.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, I've done a little research and I've discovered that it is not the lack of pollen that increases the abscission of flowers but rather, the more pollen that flowers have, the higher the abscisson rate.

I looked at a few other studies that used temperature as the variable and it apparently has an effect on the abscission rate of flowers as well.

You know, I wouldn't get to upset over your flowers falling off, gardening is a hobby of patience and I think that they will grow back. I don't think that there is anything wrong with your plants if they are not showing any other signs of fatigue.

peachguy

Here are three pics.[/img]https://www.freewebs.com/wrightplants/photos.htm

peachguy

the link doesn't work but just enter the address in your address bar.

Return to “All Other Fruit”