crobi13

Question about berries

Last fall, I planted 2 Raspberry vines (which I plan to trellace) and I was wondering if I would be ok to plant Strawberries in the same area under the Raspberries?
Thanks for any advice :D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I did the same last year. In 4' by 4' beds I planted a single raspberry plant and surrounded it with strawberry plants. For last season that worked just fine. But at season's end, I realized that it was a big mistake. The raspberry plants are crazy aggressive. This fall and winter I have spent much energy digging up the raspberry plants and placing them in their own 4' by 4' raised bed, and have been renovating the strawberries into their own similar space. The work has been quite a chore as the raspberry plants have such strong roots with offshoots most everywhere. Thankfully, I'm on my last bed, and will never make that mistake again.

Now I have about ten 4' by 4' raspberry beds, and have about five similarly sized strawberry beds. This year I'll plant some annuals with the newly plant raspberries, but will never again plant competing perennials in with those dominant plants.

crobi13

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll be putting those two together :shock:

Return to “All Other Fruit”