Vesper

Avocado pit has germinated, when should I plant it?

I have tried and tried and failed to germinate avocado pits using the toothpick/water method. I finally got fed up and decided to try something different. I wrapped the pit in a very warm damp paper towel, then into a sealed plastic bag, and I put that under the sink. After 3 weeks I checked it and saw that the pit had cracked and up inside it I could see a small white root emerging. I put it back and checked on it today, a week later, and now the thick white root is sticking out about a half a centimeter out of the cracked pit. Should I plant it now, or put it back and let the root grow more before I plant?
I also had a few questions regarding the planting process.
1. What is the best soil to use for avocados?
2. How big of a pot/container should I use?
3. How deep should I plant the pit?
4. Should I cover the pot, or leave it open to the air? (no stem has emerged yet, just the root.)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, it's time to put the pit into some soil.

I would use a pot 4 inches in diameter measured across the top. I'm not sure what that is in cm, maybe about 10?

Use a good quality standard potting soil. It's important to use potting soil, because garden soil doesn't drain fast enough when uses in containers. If you want to grow your avocado organically, then make sure the package label of the soil you select is marked "certified organic."

Place the pit into the soil so that the upper half is above the surface. Be very careful not to accidentally break that little root off, because the pit won't produce another one.

After you have the pit in the soil, with soil gently firmed all around it, water it very thoroughly. Drench it well, so that no air pockets are left. Allow it to drain completely, then place it where it will get bright light.

Don't cover it with anything. Leave it open to the air. :)

Venomous_1
Cool Member

You can actually grow avocado in Zone 5. WOW. Tell me more...

Venom in TN

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Avocados can be grown indoors in containers, but it's usually temporary. A full-grown avocado tree becomes quite large, and would not make a reasonable house plant, at least for most people.

In addition, avocado trees grown from seed rarely produce good fruit.

Return to “All Other Fruit”