His_Einna

Fruit in the shade

I know I'm probably being an optimist, but I was hoping to find some variety of fruit bush/cane that I can grow on a north-facing wall. Does such a thing exist? I'm already pushing for a morello cherry tree, but I can't find/think of anything else.

Thanks.

His_Einna

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There are actually quite a few fruits that can be grown in a situation like that. They tend to be not the commonest ones, they may not be as productive as they would be with more hours of direct sun, or as sweet-- takes sunshine for all that sugar. But a lot of these less common, less sweet fruits are very high in anti-oxidants (and you can always add sugar, if that is your taste).

So here's a list (not necessarily complete). Also, I don't know how cold it gets where you are, so I don't know that all of these will grow in your climate. It's just a starting point of fruit producers for shade. You will need to check with your local nurseries to see which ones of them work for your climate:

black or red currants
gooseberries
honeyberry
chokeberry
rhubarb (not actually a fruit, but people treat it like one and I have mine growing in quite a shady area)
paw paw
cornelian cherry
salmonberry

more common berries like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries will grow in shady situations, but as noted with much reduced fruit production.

Return to “All Other Fruit”