barnercora

Anyone here grow Bananas???

Apologies to the admin forum first. I don't know where this question fit, but please move it to the right thread if their is one.

Okay, here is my question!!!

I am planning to plant few of banana plants next year. I will start 4 or 5 plants and see how well they do here in Ga. I am looking something dwarf variety cause I will planting them in 7- 10 gal. pots. I need to be able bring them in the basement for winter since I don't have a greenhouse.
I want edible nanas for sure and grows/mature to 7-12 ft.

Any members here have experience this fruits and can share it with me, is most appreciated.

Thank you,
Cora

Ofer

I used to have bananas in our garden and in some of my customers years ago when had a maintenance service in the business I had.

Lots of feeding to get good fruit! plenty of sun, must a warm temp all year- if it freeze you lost it!

Once you get a banch it means a lot of bananas - so weather sharing or many banans cake.

We tend to cover the fruit in some places with big plastic bag on the tree- cut the whole ''branch'' and let it get ready- indoor.

It makes lots of new plants around and recomended to to get rid of the mother plant every few years and grow a new one.
good luck

Ofer El

serial_killer

I do.

I have a hydroponic Dwarf Cavendish. I just got it about 3 weeks ago and transplanted it from soil so its kind of going threw some shock right now but it is already eating well and the new "cigar" leaf is growing out more and more so while its got some yellowing going on I expect it to recover fully.

I saw this ones parents when I got it and they were about 12-14 feet and in full bloom in a green house.

If I were to ever want to get another one it would without a doubt be Ice Cream.

Gardening4Life
Newly Registered

I have grown bananas for several years. Always plant these jewels at NIGHT. Also, be sure to watch out for domesticated tree monkeys. I have found a few stealing bananas off my trees. :o

Ofer

Well yap not sure what can you do about the monkeys, there are nice creatures in the end of the day- so why not share with them the bananas.

It is actually a good wildlife gardening feature :lol:

Gardening4Life
Newly Registered

Capuchin monkeys are bullies!!! Don't let their cute little faces fool you. They have stole ALL my bananas... Maybe I should start a forum on pesky monkeys and ways to ward them off.

serial_killer

I don't think he will have to deal with monkeys in Georgia. lol

Gardening4Life
Newly Registered

You never know. I have lived in various parts of the US and found a domesticated tree monkey in my back yard one time. So never say never!!! :wink:

Ofer

I was working with monkeys , but have no idea how to stop them stilling bananas - they are fairly clever creatures

applestar
Mod

Here's one:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8029&highlight=growing+bananas

barnercora

Thanks everyone. That is what I was hoping for , different opinion.

Serial Killer, ice cream sounds yummy.

So "Dwarf Cavendish" and " Musa" variety produce fruits and eatable?

Now, another question. Do deer eat bananas?. Deer bed down in my back yard and they harvest everything in my vegetable garden. The bucks use my brugmansia tree to rub their horn too.

Thanks
Cora

Gardening4Life
Newly Registered

Yes, deer go bananas over BANANAS!! (mostly just the leaves though)
Plant some clover and corn around the trees and they will steer clear of your bananas!

Return to “All Other Fruit”