Brian2412
Newly Registered

Grape Vines didn't reach the top wire...

I'm looking for some advice/discussion about how to proceed.

I planted 7 different grape vines this spring with various results (Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Riesling, Sangiovese, Tempranillo). I planted a little late (April/May) here in Richland, WA (Washington Wine Country) in my sandy (QuD), Alkaline soil. I'm training these to a single cordon but only one of the vines made it to the top wire this first year (Chardonnay). The others had varying growth between 3-4 feet with the exception of the Tempranillo (planted latest and late May and and only grew up 12-18â€

ritamcgowan
Newly Registered

Hi,
We're new members and cruising the site.
My husband was raised on a vineyard in Fresno. I will see if he has any answers for you.

We have 9 vines. They are around the patio and an arbor at the rear of the yard. A few years ago we harvested over 100 pounds of grapes. Perletta grapes make the tastiest raisins.

Hope his response will be helpful.

ritamcgowan
Newly Registered

Response from Mr. B.

Our vines took 3-5 years to produce. The main stem will become larger after the 3-5 year period.
Only prune the new growth back to the original height between November and December. Leave the plant alone during the growth period. Plants will grow new buds once spring is established. It appears your plants all made it out of shock, which is a good thing. Different variety of vines have different growth rates depending on the climate.
After the 3 year period the new growth will be several feet per season. Watch for fungus on the leaves that appears grey. As the main stem gets larger the clusters of grapes will also get larger. The clusters should start maturing by August each year. In August the sugar content is at it's maximum. If you wait to pick the grapes, they will start to burst and rot.
You have to pick them within a few days of the maximum sugar content, so taste the grapes periodically. At harvest wash and chill the grapes or lay the clusters out on paper in the sun to make raisins. Turn the clusters in a few days depending on the heat. After the raisins are dried store in the refridgerator.
Grape vines require very little care except for annual pruning and trellis'.
No fertilizer is required. Soak the ground once a month during mid year.

Hope this helps.

Return to “All Other Fruit”