grower_krs
Newly Registered

have 6 raspberries..now what?

My mother-in-law graced me with yet another grouping of plants...timing seems a bit off, but I need to get them in the ground!

Any info on how to prep the bed, sun-shade, soil, staking etc.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Where is Louisburg? You are right about the timing. Most parts of the country it is too late to plant them, they will just go dormant and freeze without ever putting down roots and die. If you are somewhere warm enough that you have a few weeks or a month left before things freeze up it might work. Otherwise, I'd try potting them up, insulate the pots and put them in an unheated garage or shed until spring (watering occasionally).

grower_krs
Newly Registered

Our ground here rarely reaches freezing points. Snow is really a slow watering mechanism here:)

Today was 65, yet tomorrow will be 40 degrees...(I know, a far cry from winter really)

Our soils drain very well in my microclimate. I am on the cusp of Piedmont soils and sandy plains so, from what I have observed, we have pockets of clay and a lot of sand (with thousands of ants who eat all root systems around:(

Should I protect the raspberries and just wait, do you think? What about planting them and protecting heavily with mulch (I do worry about fungus and bacteria)

Also, I have full sun in the front yard with most of the garden, but I have full/part sun/shade in the back.... Plant in dappled shade maybe or full sun?

I am on a well system for water, but water usage is always a main concern. Our summers are HOT with little rain.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You still didn't say where Louisburg is, maybe I should know, but I don't. But Piedmont sounds like Virginia? North Carolina? Are you in zone 7 or 8?

Anyway, if you aren't going to have freezes anytime soon, probably go ahead and plant them, though it isn't the preferred time for it. They do want full sun. (They will grow almost anywhere and can be aggressive spreaders-- I have raspberry canes in my partially shaded herb garden right now presumably because some bird after eating my raspberries, pooped out seeds into the herb garden -- but they don't fruit as well without full sun.)

They like rich organic and very well drained soil, somewhat acidic. If your soil isn't acidic, you can add an acidic fertilizer meant for azaleas, etc. (But don't fertilize now)

grower_krs
Newly Registered

Think I will just pamper the little guys until spring until I can prep the bed and plant them.

Thanks for the info!

Return to “All Other Fruit”