peachguy

Everbearing Seeds

If I take seeds from the everbearing strawberry plants I bought and plant the seeds with the seeds grow to be everbearing?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Peachguy! It is not common practice to reproduce strawberry plants from the seed, and I have not even heard nor read of it being done, so I can't tell you how successful it would be. If the plants are hybridized, I doubt you will get anything.
The most common way of increasing your number of strawberry plants is by allowing a few runners to grow off each plant, pinning them into the soil until they have formed roots, and then clipping them from the main plant and moving them to where you want them. I would not do this however, until I have picked my major crop of strawberries, as sending runners out uses energy the plant would otherwise put into producing fruit.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your strawberries!! :wink:

Val

aqh88
Cool Member

So when growing strawberries you should always clip the runners unless you want them to spread?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

If you are wanting more berries, than yes, you should limit how many runners (these are called daughters) you allow to grow. I replace one third of my strawberry plants every year on a rotation, so I only let enough runners grow to replace the ones I remove, and all of the rest of the runners are clipped off. Your plant will put much more into the production of berries this way.

Also, strawberries only have good production for a few years, and then they tend to not produce. If you were to let all the runners grow, you would end up with a solid mass of plants, and not be able to tell which ones were too old to remove from your strawberry bed.

One more point, this was told to me many years ago by my grandfather, so I am not sure how accurate it is but here goes: When your plant sends out a runner, it will grow for a while, and may even begin to put down roots, then you will see that the runner itself is sending out runners. I was told, and again, I'm not sure if this is the case, but when replacing your plants with runners, only use the first runners from the original plant, and not the second set coming off those runners. I was told that if you plant the second set of runners, they do not bear fruit. I have never tested this, I just do it, - what have I got to lose, there's always lots of runners!!

Hope this has helped, enjoy those wonderful berries! :wink:

Val

aqh88
Cool Member

Thanks. We planted a big patch of strawberry quinalt this year and were just going to try to the send the runners to an empty area. I was also told I'd need to buy new plants every 2 years but this sounds much better. I'll just get rid of the runners this year to get a good crop of strawberries and then let them multiply next year to replant.

Return to “All Other Fruit”