Earl K
Green Thumb

Strawberries and runners?

I bought a berry plant early in the year,It started sending out runners around the end of july.I transplanted it on 8-2 and it is still sending out runners.Meaning that one plant has now filled a 2x8 ft. raised bed.Will it ever stop running?Will a change in temps. make it start sending berries?It is an everbearing plant called sequoia? Any suggestions please :)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Ideally, you would not let the plant form any runners unless you want to increase or replace some of your stock. Even when you want new plants to form, you shouldn't let the plant make more than a few runners, as that activity takes away from fruit production. Your plants should have made two or three crops this year. Mine are still making a few berries and have been for the past month or longer. Everbearing plants usually produce during two or three periods from spring to fall. Next year you should have lots of berries. Make sure that you fertilize in late winter or very early spring and also mulch to keep the fruit off of the ground.

I'm a little concerned that you didn't get fruit this fall. Do your plants get adequate sunlight? Half a day sun is sufficient to produce many berries.

His_Einna

I've heard that lots of runners and no fruit can be the result of not enough sunlight; could that be a problem? Also, when you first plant strawberries, only let it produce one or two runners (and even then, only if you want the extra plants) and pinch out flowers. This means the roots get to develop properly, and you'll have a good crop the following year. That also means transplanting them too often is a bad idea, so try your best to decide where you want to grow them and keep them there for the three years.

This is just what I've been told; I sucked at growing strawberries, although I'm trying again this year, so feel free to not take my advice, lol.

His_Einna

Return to “All Other Fruit”