thepassionatecook

Dwarf Citrus Trees w/Sappy Leaves & Low Fruit Production

My mom has three dwarf citrus trees: a Meyer Lemon, a Mexican Lime, and a Trovita Orange. They were grafted and shipped from an online supplier. She has had them for a little less than a year. They are about 2 to 3 ft. tall with no current flowers (a few flowers had previously appeared on the lemon and lime trees which were hand-pollinated). Each tree is in its own large pot with good drainage, plenty of light, and fed with Miracle Gro Acid Loving Plant Food (30-10-10). [her choice, not mine :)]
  • The lemon tree is healthy, but producing only three 1 1/2-inch diameter fruits.

The lime tree has wet, sappy leaves and is producing only two 1/2-inch diameter fruits.

The orange tree didn't bloom yet. It also has wet, sappy leaves and no fruits.
She lives in zone 6 and grows all three trees in her indoor poolhouse, which has many windows. It is the perfect location with consistent humidity, light and temperature. Although, I hear these trees like temperatures between 55-75 F, yet our NJ summer has yielded higher temperatures at 75-90 F/day and 65-80 F/night. It is beginning to cool down a bit now.

I wish I could help her, but I am unsure how to care for dwarf citrus trees. We need to know why the leaves of the lime and orange trees are so sappy! I believe she needs to apply either a horticultural oil or soap. However, if there are any other reasons this may occur, please let me know. Also, why are these trees only 2 to 3 fruits at a time, or none at all in the case of the orange tree? What can cause this other than insufficient pollination? [which is probably unlikely]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't have any expertise with citrus which can only be container grown and overwintered indoors where I am. But since no one else has stepped forward, here's a couple speculations.

I have read that over watering and/or over-fertilizing citrus can lead to "soft, sappy growth."

Also aphids, whiteflies and mealyworms produce "honeydew" which is a sweet, sticky exudation which could seem sappy. Check to see if you see any sign of insects, especially on the underside of the leaves.

Let us know the outcomes and if any of this seems relevant....

applestar
Mod

Check also for scales. They are very good at looking like bumpy growth/part of the plant. I once lost a Sweet Bay plant this way. For the longest time, I didn't realize the scales were there. :roll:

Return to “All Other Fruit”