tedln
Super Green Thumb

I want to try growing strawberries!

I've never grown strawberries but would like to try next spring.

When we lived in South East Texas, a guy had a five acre plot right next to a major highway. Early in the spring, he would plow the field, unroll long strips of black plastic about three feet wide and eighteen inches apart. He would then plant strawberries in the bare soil between the plastic strips. The strawberries would grow for a couple of months and he would open a little road side stand and sell them. For about one month, the cars would be lined up trying to find a parking space to purchase some fresh strawberries. After he sold berries for a month, he would roll the plastic up, and replow the field.

I've always wondered if he was planting seed or young seedlings in order to get productive plants that quickly.

Do most gardeners start by purchasing seedlings or runners, or by germinating seed indoors and transplanting to the the garden?

Ted

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

People usually buy strawberry plants and just pop them in the ground. That way you could get some strawberries the first year.

Growing strawberries from seed is slower and trickier and why bother when the plants are cheap and easy to find?

You can plant them in the fall and then they will be ready to take off in the spring or for your Texas climate, maybe plant them in October to grow through fall and winter...

Return to “All Other Fruit”