Delta
Newly Registered

Massive cayenne plants not producing

Ill start off with the history of my plants, feel free to skip it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In spring of 08' I planted some of the "large thick" species of cayenne plants (from seed). They didn't do anything but produce a single stalk on each plant that came up about 3 1/2 - 4 ft. No branches. Winter came, and I thought they had died.

I noticed that the stalks were dark red and quite flexible during the winter, so I though maybe they had potential to make it through the frigid season. I was right (they survived temps in the low 20's :shock: ).

It's year two now, and the plants are almost SEVEN FEET TALL. They're branching out in a very...odd pattern. One of them is shooting new stalks up from the base with several small branches all the way to the top. The other plant is oddly shaped due to being bent in a storm, but is still healthy and branching out in a fan pattern (all the branches are almost exactly on the opposite sides of each other). There are no flowers or fruit on these plants.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Summer is about to start winding down here in the southern states, which is when my smaller pepper plants usually yield fruit. These, I'm not so sure about. They didn't yield last year (hell they barely even grew last year), so I'm worried I'll have the same problem this year. I'm very careful about watching for pests on these plants, as I've had problems with caterpillars as well as aphids. There are no signs of flowers, and I read that it takes ~70 days for the fruit to mature. In 70 days, it'll be starting to get randoms frosts, which will kill the fruit.

Has anyone here had any experience with this species of cayenne plant? How long do they last and how big do they get? When can I expect fruit?

(for reference, these are planted in large pots with potting soil because my area has poor natural soil quality. If anyone wants pictures Ill be happy to oblige :) )

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to the Helpful Gardener forum, Delta! It's nice to have you with us! :)

Capsicum annuum ... the 'large red thick' cayenne pepper ... likes temperatures between 62º F at night and 72º during the day. Cooler nights or warmer days can prevent bud set, or cause blossoms to dry up and fall off before they have a chance to be pollinated.

The mature height for the plant, based on what I've read, at least, is 5 feet. Did you fertilize with a high nitrogen fertilizer? That can encourage plant growth at the expense of flowers.

Did your plants flower at all? They have to flower before they can produce peppers for you, and the flowers have to be pollinated. If there aren't enough bees and other insects in your area, then you should pollinate the flowers by hand.

Delta
Newly Registered

Kisal wrote:temperatures between 62º F at night and 72º during the day. Cooler nights or warmer days can prevent bud set, or cause blossoms to dry up and fall off before they have a chance to be pollinated.

The mature height for the plant, based on what I've read, at least, is 5 feet. Did you fertilize with a high nitrogen fertilizer? That can encourage plant growth at the expense of flowers.
62-72 is usually during the fall for me, and that's typically when my other peppers produce. Right now its 80's and 90's. I grow them in some fertilized potting soil, and I add miracle gro every month or so to keep nutrients in the pots ( they suck the whole pot dry of water in just 2 days, so I'm sure the soil is depleted of everything).

I haven't had any flowers on them yet, and there are too many bees to keep it from not being pollinated :lol:

Return to “All Other Fruit”