Gary Rose
Newly Registered

Espalier fig tree problem

I have a two year old fig tree that I'm trying to espalier. The problem is, I have two large horizontal branches at the top of my trellis and then only one more horizontal branch at the next tier down. I want four laterals on each side. Can I cut off the top of my tree even with the top of the trellis this winter and expect to get side shoots to form my eight lateral branches next year or will doing that ruin my tree? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Gary Rose

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Gary rose.

To get your fig to produce a shoot lower down on one side you will have to remove the shoots above. Even if this means cutting the leader off and starting the higher framework again.
Remember that figs are very prolific in their growth and you should have no problem getting re-growth if you have to hit it hard.
Growth will always go to the stronger branches and shoots , so if there is a higher branch on a tree then any chance of getting a good shoot/ branch lower down is slim.
This is why so many garden trees up looking like bottle brushes when the top is not kept weaker than the lower levels.

Jona

Return to “All Other Fruit”