Kurite
Cool Member

Is it okay to start my goji berry plants inside now?

Hi I live in illinois (zone 5) and I just got a 100 goji berry seeds. I am very anxious to plant but I know that if I grow them outside they will probably not survive this winter. So my question is can I start growing them inside this early in the year or will it stunt there growth? Is it to late to do it outside? And how long will the seeds be good for. If I decide to save them for next year is it okay?
Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I did my best to answer some of this question a few days ago. It would have been less confusing for everyone if you had used the reply button to add the follow up to the topic you already started, instead of starting a new topic for the follow up question.

Here's what I said the last time:
I don't have any personal experience with gogi berries, but they are reputed to be a cold hardy shrub (down to -15 degrees, if your winters get colder than that you would need a heavy mulch over it). But in general, this would seem like the wrong time to start a shrub from seed. By the time the cold sets in it will still be very baby and delicate. I would guess you'd be better off to wait for spring, or start it indoors from seed in late winter.

Here's some instructions about starting goji seeds:
When you are ready to start your planting, simply put the “dried raisinsâ€

Return to “All Other Fruit”