musiclvr56

Raspberry bushes

I am going to be digging up raspberry bushes from someone. Because I am somewhat of a novice gardener (A few days ago I registered for this site), I did some reading on forums. I looked for a "primer" or raspberry bushes "101", but I was not familiar with some of the terms and it was over my head. Can anyone either respond or direct me to a site where I can get basics on planting and maintenance of these bushes? Lastly, is this the right category on this forum for my question?

Thanks!
Karen

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here' s a little article:

Consider increasing your number of transplant candidates in the early fall by using what is called "tipping." Bury 3 to 6 inches of the ends of canes in the ground, to a depth of 2 to 3 inches (if necessary, place a stone or piece of scrap wood over the buried cane-tips, to keep them securely in the dirt till the ground freezes. In the spring, at least some of these buried tips will produce new plants. Cut them free from the cane, and treat them like new raspberry plants.

Step
Dig out transplant candidates after the last frost (RG editor note-- this means in early spring after winter frost is done. I don't think now is the best time) and submerge their roots immediately in a bucket of water.

Step
Dig holes in your new location, large enough that roots will not be crowded and an inch or two deeper than roots were growing previously. Fill holes with water and let them drain halfway down.

Step
Put new plants into holes, seating them 1 to 2 inches deeper than their previous location. Refill holes with soil, tamping down thoroughly so that any water remaining in the hole will not leave a dry air-space when it drains out.

Step
Trim all canes to 6 to 8 inches long (new small plants created by tipping can remain untrimmed). Check again that plants are solidly tamped in.

Step
Keep soil consistently moist for at least a week, to help roots establish in new soil. Continue keeping soil moist during any dry spells until plants show solid new growth

Here's an article about care, pruning, maintenance of raspberries https://usagardener.com/how_to_grow_fruits/how_to_grow_raspberries.php

Return to “All Other Fruit”