stull977
Newly Registered

pear tree

I bought a seckel pear tree from a local nursery that was about to die and they sold it to me for $2.00. I thought it was worth a try for that price. It's about a 5' tree and at first, the leaves on top started to perk up a little, then turned brown and died. However, the bottom foot of the tree is putting out new leaves. Since this is August, should I prune and if so to what extent?[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

stull977,

I think I would be inclined to leave it alone, you never know what next spring will bring, it might surprise you. You can always prune it then once you know what will live and what won't. I have a Seckel pear that I layered last year. It came from a tree that used to belong to my (now deceased) Grandfather and is still in a pot. I hope that it becomes something of a living legacy.

You should look into pollinators for your tree. Most Pears require a tree of a different variety in order to produce fruit. I don't recall the specifics of this variety as we always had more than one around. Even if it is advertised as 'self fertile' often trees will do better with a pollinator. I just thought you should be aware so you don't waste several years only to find out later.

Norm

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Stull.

Gnome is right... the Seckle or Honey pear is a triploid and no good as a cross pollinator although it is said to be fairly self-fertile though not as good as say Conference.

You say that only the bottom 12 inches or so of the tree is re-growing. Make sure that this is growth coming from the original tree and not from the root stock.

Hope this helps.
Jona.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jona,
AN APPLE A DAY...KEEPS ME IN WORK
I take it you work as an orchardist?
the Seckle or Honey pear is a triploid and no good as a cross pollinator although it is said to be fairly self-fertile
This implies that the Seckel will do better with an additional variety nearby. Do you find this to be true?

The Seckel that I produced my layer from is right next to a Bartlett type pear and there is also another tree nearby that I have forgotten the name of. Any suggestions for a good pollinator for me? There used to be a Kieffer nearby as well but it is long gone. I always liked the Kieffer despite the grainy flesh.

Norm

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Norm

Yes your Seckel may well do better with an additional tree nearby.
I'm afraid that your Barlett pear is a triploid too so will not be any good as a polinator. We used to grow a lot of Bartlett ( Wlliams ) pears over here but they have gone out of fashion as they have a poor keeping record.
They got the name change when they were first sent over to the States in 1814 By nurseryman Mr Richard Williams. So they are called after the distributer and not the breeder.
You may get away without any more trees as most pears are fairly self-fertile but if you wish to have a belt and braces approach then try either a Conference or Beaurre Hardy.
Conference....or its sport...Concorde, is the most popular pear tree in Europe with massive plantings.
Beaurre Hardy is a Comice type pear . Slightly grainy in texture but good flavour and is good for cooking when it's picked early.

Yes....until I retired I had spent 50 years growing fruit. Still try to keep my hand in in private orchards and teaching.

Good luck with the pears.

Jona.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jona,

Thanks for the help. I will keep your advice in mind when I finally set my Seckel out.

Norm

Return to “All Other Fruit”