Tammy42

Transplanted strawberries into bed from a container?

I kind of waited late to transplant these strawberry plants into a bed, but they were just not doing anything in the container, but producing runners, and I have only got two strawberries from these four plants, so I decided to transplant them into the bed with my grape hyacinths that have not come up yet. Any experts on strwberry growing, do you think this is to late? Wanted to try to see if they will produce anymore strawberries. Do you think they will produce any? Also strawberry plants are perrineals arn't they? Thanks Tammy

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Strawberries are perennials. But all perennials have climate zones they are adapted to and survive in and areas where they won't.

Strawberry Growing Zones or Hardiness Zones:
Planting time is determined by your growing zone. In areas where the winters are severe (USDA zones 1-5), dormant plants should be purchased and set out in early spring, while temperatures are still cold. In mild winter areas, it is best to plant in the fall, giving you a crop the first spring.
https://www.strawberrysocial.com/how-to-grow-strawberries.html

I believe in Anchorage you are in Zone 4. I think there's a good chance your strawberries won't make it through the winter if you set them out now. You could bring your container in at least like to the garage or somewhere protected for the winter and set them out in early spring. If you are going to try putting them in the ground, give them a heavy mulch.

Earl K
Green Thumb

Tammy,I also transplanted my berries.Pulled out the pole beans from a raised bed and in went the berries.the runners went so crazy that I had to do something.Two plants soon became ten,And thats after cutting some off weeks ago.Good luck

Tammy42

Thanks Earl, I am hoping for results to, if no strawberries at least to comeback!!! Tammy

Return to “All Other Fruit”