cdlc92
Newly Registered

How do I start a Grape Fruit Tree from cuttings?

Can anyone explain how I can make a successful cutting from my grapefruit tree?
Every time I have tried, they wilt almost instantaneously.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I've thought about trying to respond to your post, but not knowing the steps you followed makes it a bit difficult. Perhaps if you described what you tried, we might be able to make suggestions for things to do differently. What time of year did you take the cuttings? What type of cuttings did you take? Did you use rooting hormones? What rooting medium did you use? Did you cover the cuttings with plastic to keep the humidity high? And so on.

I'm also going to adjust the title of your post, so other members who might be able to advise you have a better idea of what you're asking about. :)

applestar
Mod

According to my admittedly limited knowledge of citrus propagation, they are best grafted. I've come across several references about enthusiasts growing their own seedlings to use as root stocks (they ARE easy to grow from seed). Two kinds of citrus that I've read are useful as rootstock are Kumquat and Trifoliate Orange, but others are used as well. I believe there are compatibility issues as well as specific traits (e.g. cold hardiness, soil adaptability, etc.) that you would choose them for.

I've been growing citrus seeds from anything we've eaten just for fun, but with an idea in the corner of my mind that someday, I'm going to learn to graft. :wink:

applestar
Mod

That's a great video series! I thought I remembered saying I'm going to practice T-budding in August somewhere, but I guess it wasn't here... and it turns out that's exactly what they do with citrus. VEERRY INTERESTING! 8)

I just had an idea too! Maybe I'll practice on some of my citrus seedlings too. (I was going to practice with the apple trees) Like I said before elsewhere, I don't know which seedling is from which seed because I haven't been keeping records. Maybe I'll try turning them into multi-trees for fun! :wink:

As for rooting the grapefruit cutting, try [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15469]the method somegeek used[/url] for his gardenia cuttings -- they have similar plant structure so this might work. Also, if you can, get a cutting with a "heel" -- larger leaf or branch node where it grew off the main trunk or a larger branch -- attached, either whole or whittled off with part of the inner wood attached. They tend to have more rooting capabilities than a branch alone. If you only have the branch, make sure to bury at least one, preferably two of its own leaf nodes.

Return to “All Other Fruit”