Emerald_Tiger
Newly Registered

Never planted fruits, but giving it a try.

The topic says it all, I really don't have any experience growing fruit. The only ever plant I've ever grown was peppers. I truly have so much to learn, but I'm just on miracle grow potting soil, basic pots, and well the seeds.

Those are all the materials I used when planting my peppers, and I have to say they grew big and they actually had 2 variations of peppers. :D

After that moment, I got hooked to "gardening," well, my basic type of gardening. Since being on this forum, I learned everyone here encourages organic growing, so I'm probably wrong for using miracle grow. Though, I'm trying to do better now, using "organic miracle grow," I'm hoping it's a start, though not really sure if it's actually organic. Since I live in Texas, I believe I'm in zone 8, and wondering if growing black berries would be a problem.

Again, I'm using the same material, except now it's "organic" miracle grow instead of the original. I checked out the compost thread and getting great advice in there. So, as the days go by, hopefully the compost I create will benefit the soil even more.

Though, since I'm an amateur, after my peppers started to fully form and was ready to pick, the leafs turned brown, these tiny tiny organisms were slowly eating the plant away and I was left with a dead plant in the end. I felt sad :( So, I need to know proper techniques taking care of plants, disease control, pests, etc....

So, looking for a clean new start, I hope some read my thread and I'm looking for more insight. I already read a couple of articles, but I'm interested in knowing everyone elses experience. I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one who started out with miracle grow, walmart pots, and seeds. :lol:

momo
Cool Member

Most large fruiting plants will prefer being planted in the ground because they need lots of room for their roots. I've seen wild blackberries growing throughout Ca, Or, and Wa where they get lots of water (by rivers, etc.) and I've seen them fruiting well in full sun as well as part shade.

The best thing to do is go to a local nursery, not a huge chain store, and talk to the staff. They will know what will grow in your area, in which conditions, and how to take care of it. People who work in nurseries tend to be very nice and helpful and most importantly they will be familiar with growing in your climate.

Good luck!

Return to “All Other Fruit”