all_atv

grafting fruit trees

Just this last summer my dad was doing some yard work around a pear tree and discovered a graft that I had made about 7 or so years ago when I was about 16, that I had forgotten about shortly after I did it only to be noticed 7 years later it was an ash branch grafted on the pear tree!lol. I don't know if I thought the ash tree was a different type or what but my graft experiment worked!

What trees will graft well to each other and will any help polination of them? we have an apricot that the only way we can get fruit is to hang a flowering branch or three in it from my grandpas apricots, we have started more apricots near it but they havnt amounted to much yet, could I graft a branch from grandpas tree to ours to get it to polinate?
Between me, dad, and grandpa (all within a half mile) we heve cherry, 3 or 4 apple types, 2 or 3 peach types, apricot, wild plum, mulberry, pear, quince, persimon, wild (bing) cherry, maybe others not sure.

Also would something like a blueberry graft onto a real tree and would there be any benifits other than a tasty conversation tree?

Grey
Greener Thumb

I don;t see any reason why you can't graft the apple, pear, and peach types together.
I've seen citrus trees in Florida that had five kinds of fruit on them: grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime, tangerine, and I am sure they could have added Kumquats as well. lol.

Loads of fun for you! Take photos for us :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You can try doing blue berries on a graft but, I'm thinking that this graft will not work. Though, you never know.

What you can also do is make what is called a "Fruit Salad Tree" by grafting different fruits onto one tree.

Anyway, for many fruit trees, you need to plant what is known as a "pollinator tree" to pollinate the rest of the trees nearby. Now, that you have more than one Apricot tree, the rest should be pollinated provided that everything is in the same area.

mootube

Your blueberry experiment reminds me of chimera, aka graft hybrids. This is quite a rare event that the rootstock passes attributes to the scion. It's not fully understood at all but can result in radically different plants. I also hear there are ways to help the process along a bit. I'll know more when I've set up my lab. :twisted:

A blueberry tree? :shock: I want one right now! I also want an Oompaloompa or a nut sorting squirrel....

give me my nut sorting squirrel!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I suspect the grafts would take easier if the genus was the same (Prunus could be peaches, cherries and almonds; now THAT'S a tree! :shock: )

Scott

Return to “All Other Fruit”