all_atv

Starting cuttings, berries/fruit trees

I just started some cuttings about a week ago and some of the buds are begining to open up already. I used blueberry, 2 types of apple, pear, cherry, and raspberry. I used a flat with the jiffy pellets to start them with rooting hormone on each stem. I used the tips of new branches with buds on all of these except the raspberrys which I cut the canes into 2 inch pieces with a couple buds on each piece. (I have never tried cuttings before).

Is there anything more I should do for them or should the majority take root on there own? And I bought a floressent plant light for them since they will not get alot of natural light in my home, is it okay to keep this on them 24hrs or should I limit daily light?
Thanks for any info, I look forward to learning alot from your great looking forum!

Grey
Greener Thumb

Congrats on the successful cuttings!

Plants actually do the majority of their growing during the night - they store up energy during the day by soaking in the sun's rays, then use that energy to grow when temperatures are cooler. I would think your cuttings need at least 8 hours of darkness.

Other than that, just transplant them to pots when they are ready! Good luck :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

In short, YES. I agree. Have fun.

Return to “All Other Fruit”